Winemaker: Toit Wessels
Alcohol: 13.5% vol
Residual Sugar: 3.7 g/l
RS: 3.7 g/l
Total Acid: 5.8 g/l
Extract: 36 g/l
Bottled: 20 November 2013
Release Date: April 2014
Bottles: 21 108 bottles
Upfront notes of mint, mulberry and plum with a hint of leather and wood spice run seamlessly into a juicy midpalate and long finish.
North-South facing vineyards are grown in a combination of Glenrosa and Oakleaf soils. The vine shoots are vertically positioned on high trellises for optimal vine and bunch ripening. Irrigation is scheduled according to soil moisture monitoring and leaf water potential.
- The Cabernet Sauvignon grapes from 2 adjacent vineyards on the farm were destemmed and crushed retaining a 40% wholeberry component into tank. They were fermented separately in open top stainless steel fermenters.
- Ferment temperatures ranged between 24-28 degrees Celsius using a commercial yeast strain suited to soft and juicy red wines with good extract. Towards the end of ferment the wines were removed from the skins before complete dryness in order to retain softness and minimize seed tannin extraction.
- The wines were then gravity fed to stainless steel storage tanks for MLF.
- After MLF a portion of the wine was matured on staves and the remaining wine underwent 16 months of ageing in third and fourth fill barrels ensuring good wood/fruit integration.
- The wine was then blended and lightly filtered shortly before bottling.