Winemaker: Toit Wessels
Alcohol: 14.0% vol
RS: 4.4 g/l
Total Acid: 6.0 g/l
Extract: 36.6 mg/l
Bottled: 21 June 2019
Release Date: Sept 2019
Bottles: 14500 bottles
An intense, juicy red blend of dark cherries, plum and liquorice with a hint of cigar box and wood spice. The creamy midpalate evolves to a long, savoury finish.
There are 5 varieties used in this blend:
- Shiraz (44%) / Merlot (24%) / Grenache(12%) / Mourvedre (10%) / Cabernet Sauvignon (10%)
- The North-South facing vineyards used for this wine are grown in a combination of Glenrosa and Oakleaf soils. The vine shoots are vertically positioned on high trellises for optimal vine and bunch ripening and irrigation is scheduled according to soil moisture monitoring.
- The 5 varieties were destemmed and only lightly crushed to prevent any damage to the pips. They were fermented separately in open top stainless steel fermenters.
- The fermentation ran at 24-28 degrees Celsius with commercial yeast strains suited to the varieties. A 30% whole berry component ensured gentle extraction during pumpovers which were done 3-4 times daily.
- The wines were removed from the skins before complete dryness in order to retain softness.
- All red wines underwent MLF and a portion of the wine was matured on oak staves while the remainder underwent 12 months of ageing in third and fourth fill barrels ensuring good wood/fruit integration.
- The wine was then blended and lightly filtered shortly before bottling.