Winemaker: Toit Wessels
Main Variety: Merlot
Alcohol: 14.0% vol
RS: 2.5 g/l
Total Acid: 5.8 g/l
Extract: 31.9 g/l
TSO2: 117 mg/l
Bottled: 12 June 2014
Release Date: January 2015
Bottles: 14 690 bottles
Upfront juicy dark cherries, black pepper and liquorice with hints of violets and mineral earthiness complimented by a soft and juicy midpalate and a long savoury finish.
This elegantly bright and fruity blend pairs well with dishes which are flavourfull, but slightly lighter such as charcuterie and olives, capers or pesto.
There are 4 varieties used in this blend:
- Shiraz 81%
- Grenache 9%
- Mourvedre 8%
- Viognier 2%
The Shiraz, Grenache, Mourvedre and Viognier vineyards farmed for this blend are East- West facing and are grown in deep Oakleaf soils. The vines are vertically shoot positioned on extended trellises for optimal vine ripening and sunlight penetration. Irrigation is scheduled according to soil moisture monitoring.
(Shiraz / Grenache / Mourvedre / Viognier)
Sugar 24.5° B / 24.8° B / 24.9° B / 23.0° B
Acid 5.45 g/l / 5.25 g/l / 5.05 g/l / 5.55 g/l
pH 3.71 / 3.65 / 3.75 /
- The 3 red varieties were destemmed and berries crushed, only retaining approx 20% wholeberry fraction onto the sorting table. Shiraz, Grenache and Mourvedre were fermented separately in open top stainless steel fermenters.
- The red wines were fermented at 24-28 degrees Celsius with commercial yeast strains suited to the varieties. The wines were removed from the skins before complete dryness in order to retain softness.
- The Viognier grapes were crushed, pressed and allowed to settle for 2 days at 10 degrees Celsius. The clear juice was then gravity fed to 225 litre French oak barrels and underwent natural ferment to dryness. The wine was aged for 3 months and stirred monthly to encourage the development of mid-palate and length.
- All red wines underwent MLF and 13 months of ageing in second and third fill barrels ensuring good wood/fruit integration.
- The wine was then blended and lightly filtered shortly before bottling.