Winemaker: Toit Wessels
Main Variety: Cabernet Sauvignon
Alcohol: 14.0% vol
RS: 2.0 g/l
Total Acid: 6.1 g/l
Extract: 36.5 g/l
TSO2: 96 mg/l
Bottled: 24 August 2015
Release Date: July 2016
Bottles: 10 205 bottles
Cellaring: 8 t0 10 years
Classic upfront cassis, dark plum and a hint of mint evolves to notes of cigar box and dried herbs. Firm, ripe tannin, wood spice and minerality linger on the finish.
The bold nature of this Cabernet Sauvignon ideally lends itself to red meat, big and bold Rib eye or Venison.
100% Cabernet Sauvignon
The North- South facing vineyards used for this wine are grown in deep Oakleaf soils and are vertically shoot positioned and irrigated according to soil moisture availability schedules. Leaf plucking in the bunch zone enables sufficient sunlight penetration into the canopy ensuring ripe tannins and optimal berry flavour at harvest.
Grapes were handpicked between 3 – 13 March 2014
Bunches were healthy and harvested at optimal vine and seed ripeness.
Sugar 24.8 – 25.2° Balling
Acid 5.35 g/l
- The bunches were destemmed onto the sorting table with moderate crushing retaining a whole berry component of 30% in the fermenter. All stalks were removed.
- The mash was then cold soaked overnight at 12 degrees Celsius for colour extraction.
- Fermentation, using a specific commercial yeast strain, was done in open stainless steel fermenters at 24-28 degrees Celsius and the ferment lasted 7 days.
- Gentle pumpovers were applied 3-4 times daily to extract flavour and tannins for structure. Delestage (rack and return) further aided soft tannin extraction.
- The mash was pressed immediately after primary fermentation was completed.
- The wine was then gravity fed to 225l barrels for secondary or Malo-lactic fermentation.
- Maturation in 29% new, 38% second fill and 33% third fill French oak barrels lasted for 18 months and the wine was then lightly filtered prior to bottling.