….Ridgeback African Ember 2015
Winemaker: Toit Wessels
Main Variety: Shiraz, Grenache, Mourvedre, Viognier
Alcohol: 14.0% vol
RS: 2.4 g/l
Total Acid: 5.9g/l
Extract: 33.3 g/l
TSO2: 89 mg/l
Bottled: 14 June 2017
Release Date: January 2020
Bottles: 9817 bottles
Upfront juicy dark cherries, black pepper and liquorice with hints of violets and mineral earthiness complimented by a soft and juicy midpalate and a long savoury finish.
This elegantly bright and fruity blend pairs well with dishes lighter, expressive dishes such as charcuterie and olives, capers or pesto.
There are 4 varieties used in this blend:
- Shiraz 81%
- Grenache 12%
- Mourvedre 6%
- Viognier 1%
The Shiraz, Grenache, Mourvedre and Viognier vineyards farmed for this classic blend are East- West facing and are grown in deep Oakleaf soils. The vines are vertically shoot positioned on extended trellises for optimal vine ripening and sunlight penetration. Irrigation is scheduled according to soil moisture monitoring.
Shiraz Grenache Mourvedre Viognier
Sugar :24.0B 24.9B 25.2B 23.5B
Acid :5.65g/l 5.15g/l 5.15g/l 5.85g/l
pH :3.69 3.65 3.85 3.55
- The 3 red varieties were destemmed and berries crushed, only retaining approx 20% whole berry fraction onto the sorting table. Shiraz, Grenache and Mourvedre were fermented separately in open top stainless steel fermenters.
- The red wines were fermented at 24-28 degrees Celsius with commercial yeast strains suited to the varieties. The wines were removed from the skins before complete dryness in order to retain softness.
- The Viognier grapes were crushed, pressed and allowed to settle for 2 days at 10 degrees Celsius. The clear juice was then gravity fed to 400 liter French oak barrels and underwent natural ferment to dryness. The wine was aged for 3 months and stirred monthly to encourage the development of mid-palate and length, then blended with the red fractions.
- All red wines underwent MLF and 13 months of ageing in second and third fill barrels ensuring good wood/fruit integration.
- The wine was then blended and lightly filtered shortly before bottling.