Winemaker: Toit Wessels
Main Variety: Cabernet Franc
Alcohol: 14% vol
RS: 2.5 g/l
Total Acid: 5.8 g/l
Extract: 30.4 g/l
Bottled: 18 October 2016
Release Date: September 2017
Bottles: 2958 bottles (512 x 6)
A complex array of black pepper, liquorice and dark cherry with a hint of truffle runs seamlessly onto a rich midpalate, cradled in oak spice and a long, savoury finish.
The elegant complexity of the His Master’s Choice lends itself well to complex dishes such as oxtail and lamb shank.
Shiraz 80%, Mourvedre 10%, Grenache 10%
The precision selected Shiraz vineyards for this ultra-premium wine are North-South facing while the Mourvedre and Grenache vineyards face East-West for less direct sun exposure and are grown in deep Oakleaf soils. The vines are vertically shoot positioned on extended trellises for optimal vine ripening. Irrigation is scheduled according to soil moisture monitoring and leaf water potential profiles
- The grapes were handpicked between 11 February and 3 March 2015.
- All the component cultivars were picked at optimal physiological ripeness with the following analyses.
Shiraz Mourvedre Grenache
Sugar: 24.6 Balling 25.2 Balling 25.0 Balling
Acid: 5.65g/l 5.15g/l 5.55g/l
pH: 3.57 3.75 3.65
- The intensely flavoured specially selected Shiraz, Mourvedre and Grenache grapes were destemmed onto a sorting table, where any stalks were removed, retaining a 30% wholeberry component into tank.
- Fermentation of the individual red wines occurred at 24-28 degrees Celsius and pumpovers were done 3-4 times daily to extract aromatics and flavour. During this time the wine underwent a single rack and return for additional soft extraction. Ferment lasted 6-8 days per cultivar.
- The red wines were pressed immediately after fermentation was completed and then gravity fed to 60% new, 23% second fill and 17% third fill 225 litre French oak barrels for Malolactic fermentation.
- After 13 months of maturation the component wines were blended together and racked back to barrel for a further 3 months of integration.