Winemaker: Toit Wessels
Alcohol: 11.5% vol
Residual Sugar: 5.5 g/l
Total Acid: 6.49 g/l
Extract: 24.5 g/l
Bottled: 30 August 2016
Release Date: November 2016
Bottles: 1 280 bottles
Cellaring: Drink now to 8 years
This unique, bottle fermented, Viognier sparkling wine is made in the traditional Cap Classique method. Elegant notes of fresh citrus rind and biscotti are complemented by a rich, creamy mid-palate and a delicately fine mousse.
The Viognier vineyard used for this unique Methode Cap Classique faces East-West ensuring minimal direct sun exposure to the bunches and is grown in Oakleaf and Clovelly soils that are irrigated according to soil moisture and leaf water potential requirements.
The grapes were handpicked on 24 January 2014
The bunches were hand selected from a greener portion of the vineyard to encourage more neutral initial flavours and allowing for full expression of secondary ferment flavours.
Sugar: 17.5o Balling
Acid: 8.25 g/l
- The grapes were whole bunch pressed to allow for softer juice extraction.
- The juice settled overnight with pectalytic enzyme in stainless steel tanks and the clear juice was then fermented using a neutral yeast specifically designed for Methode Cap Classique production.
- 10% of the final blend was barrel fermented in a second fill 300Li French oak barrel which underwent natural fermentation for the first 5 balling and was then inoculated with a commercial yeast strain to ensure a clean ferment to dryness.
- The different Viognier components were then blended and prepared for bottle fermentation.
- The bottle fermentation and ageing lasted for 24 months during which time the wine gained the complexity and typically yeasty characteristics of a true Methode Cap Classique.
- During disgorging the addition of a fine dosage further enhanced the character of this impressive sparkling wine.