Winemaker: Toit Wessels
Main Variety: Viognier
Alcohol: 10.5% vol
RS: 121 g/l
Total Acid: 8.3 g/l
TSO2: 134 mg/l
Bottled: 17 April 2015
Release Date: July 2015
Bottles: 3 685 bottles
Cellaring: Drink now to 3 years
An overwhelmingly hedonistic spectrum of ruby grapefruit, glace pineapple, marmalade and honey, all supported by a seamless line of lime zest acidity.
The Natural Sweet Viognier is a delicate form of sweet wine which could be served with a wide range of cheeses as well as a fruit and cream based desert.
The Viognier vineyard used for this opulent wine is planted in a North-South row direction in Oakleaf soil. Vertical shoot positioning and a moderately narrow canopy enables maximum light exposure for the bunches. Great care is taken in the production of this elegant sweet wine and each sunkissed bunch stalk was nipped to encourage dehydration of berries and concentration of flavour while still on the vine.
Grapes were handpicked on 13 February 2015.
Bunches were picked at full ripeness.
Sugar 28.5° Balling
Acid 5.25 g/l
- The grapes were whole bunch pressed using dried ice to preserve maximum flavour.
- The juice settled overnight with pectalytic enzyme in a stainless steel tank after which 10% of the clear juice was gravity fed to barrel and the remainder underwent a slow, gentle ferment in tank.
- All barrels underwent natural fermentation to enhance complexity.
- The tank fraction was inoculated with a mild commercial yeast specifically suited to sweet wine production. The ferment was monitored daily and once the desired alcohol/sugar/acid ratio was reached the ferment was stopped using the Thermoflash process.
- The barrel and tank fractions were then blended and a light filtration was done shortly before bottling.