Winemaker: Toit Wessels
Main Variety: Sauvignon Blanc
Alcohol: 12.5% vol
RS: 3.50 g/l
Total Acid: 6.1 g/l
Extract: 21.9 g/l
TSO2: 95 mg/l
Bottled: 18 April 2019
Release Date: Sept 2019
Bottles: 8000 bottles
A fresh, tropical array of lime, pineapple and green guava evolves to notes of gooseberry and passion fruit on the palate and flinty minerality elegantly lingering on the aftertaste.
The Sauvignon Blanc is ideal with lighter dishes, summer salads or vegetable platters and would equally complement steamed or grilled, lightly seasoned white fleshed fish.
100% Sauvignon Blanc
The vineyards used to produce our Sauvignon Blanc are planted in an East-West direction to avoid direct sun exposure to bunches and to protect the delicate tropical flavours. The vines grow in deep Oakleaf soils irrigated according to soil moisture availability and leaf water potential.
Grapes were handpicked from 16-30 January 2019.
Bunches were picked at varying degrees of ripeness to maximise complexity and overall flavour range.
Sugar 18.5°Balling 20.5°Balling 21.5°Balling
Acid 10.1g/l 7.35g/l 6.1g/l
pH 2.95 3.05 3.35
- The grapes were harvested at night and destemmed only to press under reductive conditions.
- The juice was settled with pectalytic enzyme for 48 hours at 9oCelsius before being racked and inoculated with selected commercial yeast cultures.
- Fermentation was managed at 13-16o Celsius and lasted for 21 days.
- A short 60 day period of lees contact enhanced midpalate while still retaining the crisp Sauvignon Blanc character.
- Great care was taken to retain the delicate tropical flavours by careful reductive juice and wine management from grape to bottle.