Winemaker: Toit Wessels
Main Variety: Shiraz
Alcohol: 14.0% vol
RS: 2.6 g/l
Total Acid: 6.3 g/l
Extract: 32.6 mg/l
TSO2: 98 mg/l
Bottled: 29 October 2015
Release Date: October 2016
Bottles: 13 987 bottles
Cellaring: 7 t0 10 years
Intense, upfront notes of dark cherry, cracked black pepper, liquorice and a hint of tobacco leaf are cradled by oak spice and suede tannins on the long savoury finish.
The elegantly bold and mildly spicy nature of our Shiraz pairs well with robust flavours such as Rump or Ribeye with blue cheese and truffle.
North-south facing vineyards are grown in a combination of Glenrosa and Oakleaf soils. The vine shoots are vertically positioned on high trellises for optimal vine and bunch ripening. Irrigation is scheduled according to soil moisture monitoring and leaf water potential profiles.
- Grapes were handpicked from 20 – 24 February 2014
Sugar 24.5 – 25.2° Balling
Acid 5.25 g/l
- Harvesting was scheduled to obtain optimal phenolic ripeness and to ensure the retention of the vibrant fruit flavour in the berries. The hand harvested bunches were destalked onto the sorting table where only the very best berries were selected for ferment.
- A whole berry component of about 30% reached the fermenter. For complexity and freshness a 5% portion of ripe stalks were added to the berries in the tank.
- The mash was fermented in open top stainless steel fermenters at 24-280 C and ferment lasted 6 days.
- Judicious pumpovers for extraction of flavour, aromatics and tannins were carried out 3- 4 times daily during this time.
- The mash was immediately pressed after alcoholic fermentation was completed and the free run and pressed fractions were consolidated.
- Wine was gravity fed to 225Li barrels for secondary Malo-Lactic fermentation.
- The wine was racked twice for clarification during the maturation period.
- Maturation lasted for 19 months in 33% first, 55% second and 12% third-fill French oak barrels.
- Blending of selected barrels was followed by a light filtration before bottling.