Winemaker: Toit Wessels
Alcohol: 14.0 %
Residual Sugar: 3.1 g/l
RS: 5.8 g/l
Total Acid: 5.8 g/l
Bottled: 25 May 2018
Release Date: June 2018
Bottles: 6883 bottles
Intense notes of juicy dark cherry, cracked black pepper and a hint of liquorice run seamlessly onto a silky midpalate and an elegantly savoury finish.
The North-South facing vineyards used for this expressive and juicy wine are grown in a combination of Glenrosa and Oakleaf soils. The vine shoots are vertically trellised for optimal vine and bunch ripening and irrigation is scheduled according to soil moisture monitoring.
- The perfectly ripe Shiraz bunches were destemmed and only lightly crushed to prevent any damage to the pips and was fermented in an open top stainless steel fermenter.
- The fermentation ran at 24-28 degrees Celsius with a commercial yeast strain suited to the variety. A 30% whole berry component ensured gentle extraction during pumpovers which were done 3-4 times daily.
- The wine was removed from the skins before complete dryness in order to retain softness.
- After a gentle pressing the wine underwent Malolactic Fermentation. A portion of the wine was matured on oak staves while the remainder underwent 12 months of ageing in third and fourth fill barrels ensuring good wood/fruit integration.
- The wine was then blended and lightly filtered shortly before bottling.